Instead of emailing these questions, I thought it might be best to post them here in case other folks might need some assistance in their thought process when choosing their Mala. Hopefully these general questions will help narrow your focus (and mine for those that have asked me to create a custom piece for them) and get you started on the right path. Once these are answered we can direct focus to specific needs.
1. Are you going to be wearing this piece or is it solely for meditation?
2. If yes, do you prefer a necklace or a bracelet?
3. If no, would you like a long traditional Mala or something shorter?
4. Do you have texture issues, meaning when touching things are you queeged out by rough things?
5. Would you prefer a tassel or just a simple bead to end it?
6. Is this piece something that needs to stand up to a lot of wear and tear or will it be stationary when not being used during practice?
7. Are you more drawn to dark or light colors?
8. Are you more drawn to earth tones, warm tones, cool tones, brights or metallics?
9. Would you prefer to have your energy focused on one specific issue per piece, a small set of issues per piece or as many as you can throw at it?
10. Would you say your energy is chaotic during meditation or does it seem to trail off?
11. Do lots of different colors and textures tend to distract you?
12. Does a singular color palette calm you?
13. Do you find holding heavy things in your hands soothing or annoying?
14. Does the faint click of beads knocking together annoy you in any way?
15. Would you prefer the string be a contrasting or complimentary color?
I’m going to put together some more direct questions too but I think those are likely more individual and won’t work in a broad audience. I’ll try and see how it goes for now, I’m putting this up here. Hopefully it helps to get you started, please let me know if you have any questions!