Meme from A’Dell
1. What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before?
Swam with sharks. I mean I’m sure I have technically swam with sharks as there are sharks in the ocean but swam face first into a shiver of sharks? No, I had never done that before.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
As I was dealthy ill starting the year, I am pretty sure I didn’t make any, in fact I seem to get sick this time of year every year and the past two years have been brutal.
I did actually make some this year so that is a big change.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Close, as in family, no. Close, as in friends, yes, there are babies and pregnancies being announced all the time it seems.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Three of Willy’s uncles and my most special girl Mayday. This was a very rough year.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you didn’t have in 2014?
Health, peace and some forward progress for Sprog.
7. What dates from 2014 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
None, actually, this whole year was like a blur of sadness and stress with very, very few high points and I felt like I was just desperately treading water for most of it.
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
Getting our kids through District Science Fair, taking 5of6 medals and the banner even though the head judge treated me like I wasn’t worthy.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Allowing drama with a certain family member to really hurt my heart.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The herbals that have helped me breathe, the roof rack that will allow us to camp with my car, the fuzzy boots which keep my feet cozy…
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
(this is A’Dell’s answer and I’m leaving it)
“Marianne, Hugo’s mother. I have so much respect for this woman it’s hard to put it in words. Her child was diagnosed with an awful form of pediatric cancer and she has kept everything rolling (a whole life! her family! her job! Hugo’s treatment! boring everyday things like laundry, which still must be done!) while treating so many people with grace and kindness. SO MANY PEOPLE. She’s had to be firm with some people, sure, but Marianne has been though so very much this year, more than anyone should ever have to, and she has SO MUCH compassion and generosity left in her heart for other people.”
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
A certain family member, repeatedly. MANY, MANY people in this world.
14. Where did most of your money go?
We paid off all our credit card debt (again), teenage boys are very expensive on the car insurance, concert tix (holy shit), heartworm treatment and other vet bills for an unexpected new dog and general life costs.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Any time I get to see friends and travel, I get really jazzed.
16. What song will always remind you of 2014?
Anything by Foofighters and Fleetwood Mac (that concert was so great)
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
I am sad but not sadder, or at least not sadder by much, just sad and lonely.
I am the same size but maybe marginally stronger and will be stronger still.
I am somewhat richer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Sick at home with Sprog.
21. What was your favorite TV program?
I am really MEH on most things on TV right now but The Daily Show is still good stuff.
22. What was the best thing you learned?
I have learned so much great stuff from yoga this year. Chakra system has resonated the most.
23. What was the best book you read?
Didn’t read for fun this year
25. What was your greatest food discovery?
Jackfruit is a fantastic meat substitute and a whole food. Love.
26. What did you want and get?
Any and all good news regarding Hugo. People donating to children for Christmas as a birthday wish.
27. What did you want and not get?
An effing door on our master bath.
28. What was your favorite film of 2014?
This is Where I leave You
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
39 um…nothing? Unless we travel for my birthday it’s usually a non day.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More face time with friends
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2014?
32. What kept you sane?
A white knuckled grip on it
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
The usual suspects
34. Who did you miss?
My family. This sounds wicked strange but writing my brother stirred up this deranged nostalgia trip for me and well it’s just been very odd to try and cope with, what I miss isn’t reality.
35. Who was the best new person you met?
My yoga peeps
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014.
If removing yourself from a toxic situation winds you up painted as “the bad guy” it’s still worth it.
37. Show us one of your favorite photos from the year.